Spring is coming up, and what better way is there to get in the spirit than with some sweet treats? Today I made this four-layer trifle to bring that fruity, zesty feel back into the year while it’s still young. So this is how I made my super easy and shamefully sinful trifle fit for any springtime treat.
- 2 packets of jelly mix-strawberry flavour (enough to make 2 pints)
- Sponge fingers, either pre-made or shop bought *
- 2 tins of custard , unless your brave and make your own.
- 600ml of double cream
- fresh peaches / another fresh fruit to go inside e.g. Strawberries, blueberries etc.
- Chocolate shavings to decorate
*If you need to make sponge fingers you will need:
- 125g of self raising flour
- 120g of sugar
- 120g butter/margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 a tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 a tsp of baking powder
- 2 tbsp. of milk
- (OPTIONAL*) this is to make the sponge fingers. First you need to cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl, till it goes light and fluffy. Then add the beaten eggs, vanilla extract. Then add the flour, baking powder and milk. Mix the hell out of it! Then cook at 180°c (fan) in a flat tray about 30 cm by 20cm tin, for 12-15 mins. When it’s finished it should be golden brown and firm to the touch, allow to cool and cut into thin fingers when completely cold.
- Get your self a big ass bowl/ receptacle (preferable see-through) in which to hold your trifle. At the bottom of this try as accurately as you can to line the bowl with your sponge fingers.
- Then pour your first pint of (yet-to-set) jelly over them to soak them. The instructions/details of the quantity will be on the packet. Then place a bowl bottom down on top of this in order to stop the sponge floating and leave it to set in your fridge for at LEAST 2-3 hours.
- Make the second batch of jelly mix after this and let it set on top , which should give you that clear layer of jelly after your sponge layer. Let this one set over night or at least 6 hours
- After this place your fresh fruit, I went for peach slices, onto of your now set jelly layer and then pour all the custard over that, then smooth it out to create your third layer. place in the fridge.
- Finally whip the double cream till it has formed soft peaks, (gonna give you a serious work out if you do this by hand) and place this atop the layer , of now, hopefully cold, custard.
- Then top this with whatever your heart desires, whether this be chocolate shavings(my personal choice) or sprinkles, or more fruit , whatever! Then enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this post guys and let me know if you make one or other tasty treats by tweeting me or leaving a comment down below. Check out my other baking and cooking recipes on my page! Till the next time,
xXx STTS xXx